The Depot

Pittsfield Historical Society’s
History of Pittsfield

Pittsfield’s Railroad Depot Building

The Depot was built by Maine Central Railroad in 1886. Today the Pittsfield Railroad Depot building serves as Pittsfield’s Depot House Museum. It is owned by the Town of Pittsfield and is overseen by the Pittsfield Historical Society. The Depot House Museum is open by appointment by calling Tom Brown at 487-4926.

More about the history of the depot can be found on the Historical Society’s website here.
Take a Virtual Tour of the Museum.

A list of railroading history websites can be found here.


(Click on pictures below to enlarge.)

The Maine Central Railroad Passenger Depot in it’s heyday in 1907, from an old newspaper photograph.


The Depot, Railway Express building, and a Grain Elevator, from a postcard circa 1920.


The Depot as it appeared in a 1913 colorized postcard.

The Depot in 1944. Work being done on Railway Express building in foreground.

View of the Depot from Library Street in the early 1960’s. The Lancey House Hotel is in the background and the Railway Express Agency building in the foreground.

The Depot as seen from the Middle Street in a 1972 photo.

By 1974, the Depot was sorely in need of repair.

This newspaper photo shows restoration work being performed in 1977.

The YMCA was housed here in 1982.

The Depot House Museum as it appeared in 2002.

The Depot getting a new roof in 2012.


Original Version: 4-Dec-05.

Comments are closed.