Nav Table

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Can't find what you're looking for?
Search this website
Loading

HOME
What's New Here?
About PHS
Contact PHS
Museum Hours
Museum Tour
Items for Sale
Credits
Notes about this site
Visit our Facebook page
Subscribe to our e-newsletter

DOCUMENTS
1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield, ME
Milestones & Memories
Pittsfield Dates
Pittsfield on the Sebasticook
The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield
Histories, Music, Poems, etc.
PHS Photo Calendar-1994
PHS Photo Calendar-2005
PHS Photo Calendar-2006
Maps

PHS PHOTO COLLECTION

BUSINESS
Businesses-2005
Businesses-Past
Woolen Mill Photos
Harry Cornforth slides
Lancey House

MUNICIPAL
Cemeteries
Community Theatre
R.R. Depot
Library
Other Municipal Facilities
Parks
Schools

PEOPLE
Pres. Eisenhower's 1955 visit
People of Note
Margaret Chase Smith

ORGANIZATIONS
Churches
Organizations

VIEWS OF THE TOWN
Fires & Floods
Bud Homstead photos
Houses
Mysteries
Mill Pond
Sebasticook River
Streets
Tour of Pittsfield, 1972
Wide & Aerial Views

THE PERSONAL TOUCH
Write Your History
Land & House histories
Personal Memories of Pittsfield

Resource Websites


Back totop.

free counters

Pittsfield Historical Society's
History of Pittsfield

Pittsfield Cemeteries -- Index Page

Carr Cemetery. Includes photos of all headstones.

Tilton Corner Cemetery (Powers Cemetery).

Village Cemetery - South (new) side (partial: A - R).

Village Cemetery - North (old) side (upper corner only, so far). Includes some headstone photos.

Wilson Cemetery.

Weymouth Cemetery. Includes photos of all headstones.


Info from above web pages in word processor (.doc) format.

Maps to Pittsfield's Cemeteries (in .pdf format).


Pittsfield's Original Cemeteries. "In 1829, the matter of a burying ground came up for considerable discussion. It was finally voted to purchase a piece of land suitable for that purpose, but it was not until 1848 that the order for the purchase was obtained. A lot was bought on land that later was part of the Going Hathorn estate and now is Hathorn Park, but later it was changed to a location east and south of Union Church or what is now the Universalist Church. In 1854 when the Railroad went through the town, this land contained valuable gravel for the road beds, so once again the location of a cemetery was changed this time to its present site farther down the river. Today if one wishes, he can see where this gravel was removed between the Sebasticook and the east side of the properties of the old grammar school, the grange hall, and the east end of Easy Street."

--- from Pittsfield on the Sebasticook by Sanger M. Cook.


From the Town Website (Mar-2011):

The Cemetery Sexton Peter Snow works seasonally from May through October each year maintaining the Town's several cemeteries. To reach the Cemetery Sexton call 487-5463 directly or leave a message at the Town Office at 487-3136.

A restoration project for the several cemeteries in Pittsfield authorized and funded by Town Manager Ruth and the Council was started in the 2005 season. The Carr Cemetery south of town on Rt. 100 was the first of the Pittsfield cemeteries to be worked in.

In the process of straightening, repairing, cleaning and checking for records, the poorly marked graves of two Revolutionary War veterans from Pittsfield were identified. Further research and correspondence with the U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs has resulted in providing new markers for those graves. The markers are scheduled to be installed in the 2006 season. This will essentially complete the Carr Cemetery memorial restoration project.

Scheduled for this type of restoration work is the Wilson Cemetery and some in the Powers Cemetery in the 2006 season.

Hopefully, residents and visitors will take time to wander through these old cemeteries and "visit" with the many original founders and settlers of Pittsfield.

Funding permitting, efforts are being made to deal with the roadways, particularly in the Village Cemetery. Recent seasons of heavy rain and wet conditions have caused erosion and settling of gravel beds.

The final development for cemetery lots in the southwestern area of the cemetery is on schedule. Several lots were available for use in 2005.

A codification of the cemetery rules was completed in 2004 and copies are now available at the cemetery on Peltoma Avenue and from the Sexton. Hopefully digests of these rules will soon be available for a future new webpage. Some limited genealogical services may also become available. Use will determine the extent these services are available.

N. Blake Bartlett

Sexton, The forty-fourth year

Original Version 20-Dec-06.


Entire website and contents ©Pittsfield Historical Society 2001-2012.
Website design by Snakeroot DataGraphics
In the interest of Pittsfield.
File name: index.shtml
Version: Tuesday 22 March, 2011