Pittsfield Historical Society's
Pittsfield Past Businesses Directory
Created from an original document compiled by Don Hallenbeck.
HELP US! This page is a work in progress. If you know of any
past businesses not listed here, or the history
Jump to:A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Notes
|A & P Grocery||Originally called The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company, the A & P was located on Main Street. Moved into the Hanson block at the corner of Main and Hunnerwell in 1950 (right photo from 1955); closed June 12, 1971. Later on the A&P building was a show room for Craig Hardware & Homecenter (where wood panneling was displayed) and starting in August 1978 was a temporary home to Joseph Hermon Shoe Co. until their building was ready in the Industrial park, where they opened their Stride-Rite division. The building was demolished during urban renewal of 1979-80.|
|A. H. Cornforth Clothing||Located on Main Street. See ad on page 2 of the April 1882 Pittsfield Advertiser|
|A. J. Loder Block|
Located at 11 Central Street, across from the Depot, the A.J. Loder block housed the businesses of both A. J. Loder and his wife R. W. Loder, and included a photographic studio, florist shop, boots, shoes and rubbers shop, and offered water colors, crayon sketches, picture framing and bedding plants and cut flowers from their 150' x 24' greenhouse. See the ads in A.J. Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME on page 45 and page 62 and other pages.
|Advanced Computer Solutions||6 Somerset Avenue, a home-based business, operated by Robert Simpkins. Closed 2003.|
|American Woolen Company||
An American Woolen Co. parade float in 1946. A view of the American Woolen Mill, formerly the Pioneer Woolen Mill, in 1914 it was bought by American Woolen Co. who operated it until 1953 when it closed. Also see the Woolen Mills Photo Page
|Ames Whittemore Century 21 Real Estate||Dwayne Ames. South Main St. Sold to Town & Country Realtors which then moved into Green Apple location ( 67 Main St.) in fall of 2004.|
|Amos J. Melvin Blacksmithing||Blacksmithing and jobbing. Located on North Main Street "on the island". See ad on page 41 in AJ Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME.|
|Arthur J. Grignon Chainsaw||Closed.|
|Asa Craig Dry Goods, Garments||Closed. Located on Main Street at corner of Central Street. In operation in 1920.|
|Auto Barn||Closed. Run by Francis Welch. His son David Welch has a seasonal ice cream shop there now (2005).|
|Bacon's Market||Closed, sold to new owners (Jordan's).|
|Bangor Daily News Office on Main St||17 Main Street. Corner of N. Main St. and Park St. Moved to second floor of old Dysart's. Closed summer of 2002. Reporters now working from home.|
|Banks Boot Shop||Closed.|
|Barney's||Sold to new owners, closed.|
|Bellview Farm (Boarding)||Holly Cianchette. Phillips Corner Road. No longer in business (moved out of town).|
|Bemis Meat Market||Opens in 1965. Closed.|
|Ben Franklin||Chain department store, opened in May, 1981, in Somerset Plaza. Closed.|
|Benner's TV, Dealer and Repair||Closed.|
|Berry's Pharmacy||In the early 1900's, R.H. Berry operated the store as Libby's Pharmacy. See ad on pages 36 & 37 in Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME. R.P. "Dick" Berry, purchased the business in 1971 from Donald Humphrey who had purchased it from Dick's father. Closed, two story wooden building torn down in to make room for drive-up window at Merrill Bank. 1972 photo. Also see Welby's Drug Store.|
|Better Cable TV||Closed January, 1985.|
|Better Homes Discount Center||Located on Middle Street, across from Hathorn Park. Closed, building torn down in 1994. Formerly housed Wirthmore Store. 1972 photo.|
|Big Dog Diner||21 Main Street. The name of the restaurant at this site from 1998 to 2002. See Ken's Restaurant.|
|Bijou Theatre||Bijou Theatre. Originally opened in 1915 as Leger's Theatre. Became Bijou Theatre in 1918. Sold to Town of Pittsfield in 1977, and opened as Pittsfield Community Theatre. Left photo from 1972. Right photo from Eisenhower visit in 1955. For a very detailed history, see the Community Theatre page.|
|Blondies Restaurant||Closed in 2003 after 1 year. At corner of Webb Rd. & Route 100. Became Picnic Basket. Also see Nancy's Restaurant.|
|Book's Etc||17 Main Street. Closed. See Kay Elias' Women's Store.|
|Boulanger's Market||Opened in Maderio's Market location, closed.|
|Bowl-Rite Lanes & Laundromat & Carwash||Located on South Main Street, set back from the road, almost opposite from C.N. Brown. The Bowl-Rite Lanes and Recreation Center, owned and managed by Charles Rowell of Harmony, was a most popular indoor gathering place ever since it was established in 1963. In 1966 a carwash was added. Managed by George Chadbourne from 1964-1986. Sold to Alfred & Sessa Menendez in 1973 and became Pittsfield Bowling Center. Building destroyed by fire 2001.|
|Bradford & Wymans Mill||Closed. Located on North Main Street, at the Mill Pond dam. In 1800, a saw mill was built on the Sebasticook River on the site that is now the Edwards Company (EST), by William Bradford and Mr. Wyman of Vassalboro. The first woolen mill was started at the site in 1869 by Going Hathorn, who also built the granite dam at the site. In the 1956 the Edwards Company moved into the building. In 2004 Edwards was sold to General Electric Security Systems.|
|Brown's Clothing Store||Don & Bea Billings sold to John Ring, Sr., owners retired, closed as Browns Clothing Store. Opened as Ring's Clothing Store, later closed.|
|Bryant & Co. Interior Finish Mills||
Interior finish mill work. In 1909 the Bryant Woodworking Plant was closed due to bankruptcy, eliminating jobs in the plant and a market for
lumber from nearby woodlots. In 1913 it was bought by William McGilvery and opened as the McGilvery-Cummings Shoddy Mill. It was sold to Lancey
Milliken in 1932 and operated as the Milliken Shoddy Mill. ("Shoddy" is wool cloth produced from reprocessed wool.)
For more on Pittsfield woolen mill history see Peter Gulick's 1969 The Woolen Industry of Pittsfield. View from the end of Easy St. Large (right) and small format of newspaper photo.
|Bud's Red & White Supermarket|
Opened by Bud Homstead around 1959 on Hunnewell Avenue and expanded to double the size of the building in 1967. Stopped giving out trading stamps in 1969. In 1979 major interior changes added new departments. Name changed to Bud's Shop 'n Save. Moved to Somerset Plaza in 1988. The original Red & White was on Main Street (photo on right).
|Bulley's Taxi Service||Closed, owner Earl Bulley retired after driving cabs in Pittsfield for 16 years; died in 1978. The "Bulley House", just north opf the Karam Building, is the former residence of Dr. F.J. Taylor.|
|Burnt Biscuit Bakery||Opened in 1964. Closed, used to be on Main Street.|
|Buttermilk Donut Shop||Opened in old Fitt's Tire/Montgomery Ward quonset hut on Middle St. in October, 1986.|
|C. J. Cycle||Closed. Formerly Varney's Bike Shop, Later D. J. Cycle & Ski. Now home to offices of S.V.H.|
|C. Henry Shaw Moccasin Company||Closed, owner died.|
|C. Jones Hardware|
|C.P.J. Associates||Crawford Road. Fuel oil, diesel fuel, gasoline, LP gas, heating systems sales & installation, electrical & plumbing contractor. Pittsfield Taxi. Advertised in 1986. Closed when owner died.|
|Carriage Inn||108 Somerset Ave. Leased to Andre Garfield in 1972. Closed, sold to new owner in 1974, re-opened in 1975. Sold to new owner in 1978 and re-opened. Sold to Mark Cianchette in 1980 and re-opened. Re-opened again in 1982 under new management. Renovated in 1984. Closed due to fire, became Woodbriar Inn. Rite Aid Pharmacy built on lot and opened c. 2000.|
|Caruso's Lunch||Opened in February, 1974.|
|Central Maine Oil Company||Sold to Charles Philbrick, closed.|
|Chalmers Street Market||Closed.|
|Charles Watts Contractor & Builder||Located on Hunnewell Ave. See advertisement on page 22 in Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME. The building later became the home of the Pittsfield Advertiser until it was torn down in the urban renewal mania of 1979-80. Building was once part of the Hathorn Stock Farm.|
|Chevron Oil Company||Closed. Was on the site of the Auto Barn now, where in 1987 the oil tank rose from underground like a sub.) The Auto Barn is also closed & David Welch has a seasonal ice cream shop there now.|
|Conant Pant Factory||
R. A. Conant, father of Vera Conant Brown, in 1886 built the largest pant factory in Pittsfield. He lived at what is now 11 Manson Street, a large three story home surmounted by a cupola. Back of this home he erected a two-story building 68 feet long, reaching nearly to the R. R. tracks and containing 2700 square feet. He employed 14 girls and had an overhead expense of $3000 per month. It is recorded that in 1888 one employee put out 60 pairs of overalls in one day. This historic manufacturing plant has long since disappeared. The last of its life it served as an apartment house and later was torn down. The only reminder of it today is a tired looking granite hitching post that once stood near the front entrance. Large (right) and small format photos of Conant Pant Factory, with employees standing in front.
|Connie's Beauty Shoppe||21 Main Street. Serving men and women. "Walk in's Welcome". In operation in 1994.|
|H. L. Cornforth's Clothing Store||
During its heyday, Cornforth's Clothing Store advertised via glass slides provided by clothing manufacturers to be shown at the Bijou Theatre, where they
were projected onto the screen during intermission, while the movie reels were re-wound. For more on these glass slides, see the H.L.Cornforth page.
|Corriander's Restaurant||21 Main Street. Open 7 days a week, Italian specialties. Closed March 1998. Re-opened as Big Dog Diner from 1999-2002. Re-opened as Simon's Restaurant in spring of 2003. See Ken's Restaurant.|
|Country Comfort Flooring, Inc.||Closed. Space is now occupied by office space for Corner Citgo. The entrance to that space was bricked up.|
|Country Roads Flower Shop||27 Hartland Ave, at corner of Hartland and Sebasticook Sts. Closed c.1995. Reopened by Greg & Margot Bemis as Rowe Farm Flowers. See Hartland Ave. Flower Shop|
|Cox Gas and Fuel Oil||Located on NW corner of Park and Main, the earlier site of the Hunter McMaster Store and current site of the Citgo Station.|
|Craig Hardware||Trustworthy Hardware. Closed on Main Street (across from Theatre). Moved to Somerset Plaza in June, 1974, became Craig Homecenter, sold to Emery Waterhouse Company in May, 1983, name changed to Pittsfield Homecenter. Closed as Pittsfield Homecenter, reopened as Downeast Hardware, later closed. 1972 photo of Main Street location.|
|D & D PIZZA||Closed March 1997.|
|D. J. Cycle & Ski||Closed.|
|Dan's Lunch||Located on the NW corner of Main and Central, across from the Lancey House. Opened in 1930. Closed.|
|Dexter & McMaster Store||
Located at the northwest corner of Park and Main Strees, where the Citgo gas station now stands, the store was in operation in 1882. It later became the Hunter & McMaster Store. See ad on page 1 of the April 1882 Pittsfield Advertiser
|Dexter & Sampson||In 1887, Dexter and Sampson built a bridge to their mill on the island in the Sebasticook. Their mill and store later became the Hunter & McMaster Store and Hunter & McMaster grist mill with first McMaster replacing Sampson (see previous entry) and later Hunter replacing Dexter.|
|Dexter, Sampson & Libby||Operators of a lumber mill and store. Dexter, Sampson & Libby were in financial trouble in 1890 and the Dobsons purchased control. They planned to continue operation of the mill and the store.|
|Discount Home Center|
|Dominick's Restaurant||Opened June, 1981 with Elaine Caron, manager. Formerly The Embers Restaurant. Closed, became Kristina's Restaurant.|
|Dianna's Laundry||Closed in 1995.|
|L. A. Dysart's Department Store||
75 Main Street in the Perkins Block. Opened in 1935 as a 5 & 10 store by Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence A. Dysart from Skowhegan. New storefront added in 1948. Owner retired in February, 1973. Sold to new owner, closed January 1985. Building later bought by Kleinschmidt Associates. 1972 (left) and 1955 (right) photos.
|E. C. Cycle||Located in Quonset hut at 17 Middle St. Closed; moved to Newport summer of 2003. 2005 photo.|
|Eastern Maine Grain Company||In operation circa 1910. Closed. See Wirthmore Feeds.|
|Edward's Co. Warehouse||In Industrial Park. Closed, not needed anymore. Subleased to Sonoco.|
|Edwards Systems Technology||
5 North Main Street. Edwards was bought out by GE Infrastructure, a unit of General Electric, in March 2005. Both Edwards locations ( Former Bud's Shop 'n Save and former Pioneer Woolen Mill) continued as before the buyout. The February, 2005 photo is of the Hunnewell Ave. location, former home of Bud's Shop 'n Save and built in 1959. Theier website is at www.est.net. Also see the Woolen Mills Photo Page
|Ell Hill Body Shop||Closed.|
|Ember's Restaurant||Opened in the early 1960's, operated and owned by Dave and Sue Mercier. Closed, later sold to Cianbro, became Dominick's.|
|Exit 38 Gas & Restaurant||100 Somerset Avenue. Built in 1998? on site of I-95 Texaco gas station. Sold in 2000? to A. E. Robinson Fuel Co. as Mobil Mart gas & convenience store.|
|Fendler - Tilton Motors (Nash Dealership)||In 1950 Fendler-Tilton Motors moved to the old P.E. Susi shop on South Main St. and took on the Dodge dealership. Closed.|
|Fernald's NAPA Auto Parts Store||Closed.|
|First National Bank of Pittsfield||Organized by depositors of the failed Pittfield National Bank, and opened in September 25, 1933. Eventually it had offices in Pittsfield and Hartland. Also see this advertisement circa 1962.|
|First National Grocery Store||Located at the NW corner of Main and Central Streets, where LaVerdiere's Drug store was later located, and today is the Kleinschmidt Associates annex. Was doing business in 1962. Closed.|
|Fitts Tire Service||
Originally located in 1965 in the quonset hut at 17 Middle St.; later moved to 48 Industrial Park. Sold to Northern States
Tire circa 1988, closed as Fitts Tire. Gerald Fitts in photograph from mid 1960's at the Middle St. location.
Building later opened as Montgomery Ward.
|Flying "A" Gas Station||Closed, now site of C. N. Brown gas station on South Main St., across from Ritchies Pizza.|
|F. M. Ireland & Son||Opened a new store circa 1882 on "Broad Street, Opposite the Depot". See ad on page 2 of the April 1882 Pittsfield Advertiser|
|Frati Mobile Homes Sales and Service||Opened just off I-95 in April, 1970.|
|Frati Trailer Park||Opened July 1, 1967, on Sebasticook St. Closed April 1984.|
|Friend's Ford Dealership / Friend's Garage||
Originally named Pittsfield Motor Sales, the dealership was housed in an old carriage house that had been moved to the Lancey Street location from the corner of Library and South Main, where the Library now stands. In this building was demolished and the current structure erected. Earl E. Friend opened a branch of Friend and Friend Garage in 1922 in this location. Closed, moved to Skowhegan. Photos from 1972 (when open) and 2005.
|4-Seasons Waste Removal||Closed in early 2005 when owner Todd Noble was killed in auto accident; business taken over by Sullivan's Waste Disposal of Troy. Was located on Phillips Corner Road.|
|Forest Frederick General Contractor||Closed.|
|Fowler's Market||Sold to Larry Savage, bought from Roulards.|
|Furniture Exchange||Housed on Park St., almost opposite Hathorn St., in the Martin Block, built in 1892 by John N. Martin. Closed due to fire in January, 1972.|
|G. A. Philbrick's Boots and Shoes||"The boot and shoe man." Cobbler and boot and shoe store located on Main Street. See ad on page 2 of the April 1882 Pittsfield Advertiser|
|G.A.R. Hall||Grand Army of the Repulbic Hall. Closed. Torn down June, 1970.|
|Gail's Mkt & Redemption Center||Moved from N. Main St. (formerly Mom's Lunch & Pop's Gulf Station) to S. Main near Wright's Stables- later closed.|
|General Electric||Closed. Located in Industrial Park.|
|Glidden's Driving School||Dennis Glidden. 7 Somerset Avenue. Closed.|
|Goode Shoppe, The||Closed. Located next to the Theatre.|
|Gordon Mobile Homes||Opened for business on South Main Street, April, 1970.|
|Grant's Texaco||Located on Main St between Lancey House site and RR tracks. Formerly Lou's Texaco. Opened as Grant's in February, 1970; Dean Grant, prop. Closed October 1976. Torn down in September, 1977.|
|Green Apples Cafe||67 Main Street. Run by Barbara Golder, Kristina Lorde-Linde, Gaetano Lapegna. Opened in 2003. Closed fall of 2004. Building now home to Town & Country Realty.|
|Greyhound Bus Lines Agency||Closed.|
Hallett's Appliance Service/Parts||
65 Somerset Ave., Pittsfield, ME 04967|
Richard Hallett, 487-3058
Closed circa 2006.
|Harold's Restaurant||Opened in 1967. Closed.|
|Harriman, Donald - Electrician||110 South Main. Donald Harriman. Moved to Palmyra, remained in business.|
|Hartland Ave. Flower Shop||27 Hartland Ave, at corner of Hartland and Sebasticook Sts Closed, Sold to new owners. See Rosemonde's Flower Shop and Country Roads Flower Shop.|
|Hathorn Stock Farm||Located on the estate of Going Hathorn (current location of Hathorn Park), it was operated for a time by Dr. T.N. Drake. In 1897, it was purchased by Isaac Lancey who split it into three parts, taking the main part of the house for himself and moving it to the corner of Main and Easy Street where it has served as a commercial block all these years. It was demolished during urban renewal in1979. At various times it housed the Post Office, the Augustus Holz Bakery, the Pittsfield Cooking School and the Lancey Hardware store. It was renovated by J. R. Cianchette and then sold to Leon Gordon. As of 1964, the upper floor was used for apartments and the street floor is available for stores. The stable of the Hathorn home was moved to Hunnewell Avenue and has been occupied by the offices of Charles Watts Contractor & Builder and more recently by The Pittsfield Advertiser, and eventually it too was demolished during urban renwal in 1979. The Ell of the house is located on Lancey Street next to the old Lancey Street Grammar School and is a private dwelling, once occupied by the Hallee family. The huge Hathorn Stable barn housing his thoroughbreds was afterward moved to the north side of the R. R. tracks on Central St. where it housed the Eastern Maine Grain Co. (circa 1910) for years, and in the mid 1960's was the home of the Wirthmore Feed Co. and still later (circa 1970) Better Homes Discount Center. Building finally demolished in 1994. The six story barn had originally been moved to the Hathorn Estate via ox team from Cannan.|
|Head Shop, The||A hippie shop, closed, used to be on Main Street in one half of Soucie's Jewelers. Building torn down in urban renewal of 1979-80.|
|Joseph Hermon Shoe Company||Opened in the old A & P building on Main Street, August, 1978. In September 1978, Stride-Rite division plans move to Industrial Park. Closed in September, 1984.|
|Hersey Hardware||Closed. Sold in April, 1970, to A. Brian Craig, Jr., who opened Craig Hardware at the same location on Main Street.|
|Heseltine's Pharmacy||Closed. Had many postcards of Pittsfield printed.|
|Hitching Post Resturant||Reopens in 1967.|
|Home Entertainment Center/ Radio Shack||Closed. Was R & R Electronics/Radio Shack.|
|Hometown Video||Occupied Quonset hut at 17 Middle St. Closed 1999? See Montgomery Ward.|
|Hubbards' Oil & Esso Service Station||
Located at the corner of North Main St. and Sebasticook St., Hubbard's Service Station began in 1928. Garage & Heating Oil. Garage closed January, 1969, heating oil business merged with Staples Oil to form Webber Oil in January, 1970. Garage re-opened as Joe's Used Cars in 1970. Photo of the crew from Hubbards Esso Service Station (current site of Pittsfield Pharmacy). From L to R: Tommy Tufts, Richard Peppard, George A. Hallenbeck, Buzzy Belanger, Robert N. Hubbard. Thanks to Forest Frost for identifying these folks. Photo of garage is circa 1960. Building now (2007) houses Pittsfield Pharmacy.
|Huff Machine Shop||Guy Huff, a skilled machinist, for a number of years operated a small machine shop at his home on Manson Street. During World War II he was called upon to do work for some of the larger shops, particularly Fay and Scott of Dexter, and as business increased the Manson Street location became inadequate. In 1946 he designed and built a good-sized shop on Stinson Avenue which he operated until he retired in 1959 and sold the plant to Cianbro Manufacturing Corporation, a subsidiary of Cianchette Bros., Inc. Cianbro soon outgrew the building and moved into a larger shop on Hunnewell Avenue to become a part of the Cianchette Bros., Inc., complex. The original Huff building on Stinson Avenue was sold to M. C. I. and is now used as a music center.|
|Humphrey's Pharmacy||Don Humphrey purchased business from R. H. Berry (R. P. Berry's Father). Sold to R. P. "Dick" Berry in 1971. Also see Welby's Drug Store and Berry's Pharmacy.|
|Hunter & McMaster store||In 1882, this was the Dexter & McMaster Store, a true general store offering most everything. Later this became the Hunter & McMaster store. Both stores were supplied by their own grist mill (see below) located on the island in the Sebasticook River, now traversed by Sebasticook Street. In 1950 John McMann bought out the Cox Gas and Fuel Oil business at the corner of Main and Park, where the old Hunter-McMaster store was once located. Store demolished in August 1968. Land sold to Ray Whitney, who in August 1978 sold to C.R. Philbrick & Sons who operate a Citgo gas station and convenience store there. See ad on page 6 of A.J. Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME.|
|Hunter & McMaster Flour House|
|Hunter & McMaster Grist Mill||
The Grist Mill of Hunter & McMaster. (See above two entries.) Located on the island in the Sebasticook, now traversed by Main Street, and was originally the Dexter & Sampson Grist mill. In 1909 the grist mill was moved to Park Street. For over twenty five years John H. Maxfield was the head miller. See ads and story on pages 6-7 of A.J. Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME. Newspaper photos in large (left) and small formats.
|I-95 Texaco Gas Station||Closed; reopened as Exit 38 Gas, later sold to A.E. Robinson.|
|ICT Group||Operated 1999-2003? at Somerset Plaza as a telemarketing call center. No longer in business.|
|IGA Grocery Store - downtown||Located next to the A & P on Main Street. Moved to 1 Somerset Plaza in 1979.|
|IGA Grocery Store - Somerset Plaza||Opened in 1 Somerset Plaza in 1979. Closed prior to 1988, then Bud's Shop 'N Save moved from Hunnewell Ave. (the current location of Edwards Systems Technology) to the Somerset Plaza site of the IGA store.|
|J. K. Wright Chevrolet||
J. Kenton Wright's first location was on South Main St. February, 2005 photo (right). Also February 2005 photos (left) of J.K. Wright building and sign at 66 Somerset Ave. See L & H Chevy Dealership. Sold to Varney's Chevrolet in late 2004. Building burned in March 2005, and new building built on site for Varney's Chevrolet.
|J. R. Cianchette and Sons, Inc.||In 1957, J. R. Cianchette and Sons, Inc., erected a tremendous office and repair shop on lower South Main, at the current site of Hancock Lumber. On the same property and a part of the Cianchette enterprises was a smaller warehouse, a building housing the International Harvester agency, and a modern service station (now Frost's Mobil)---all surrounded by acres of hot top paving. In August 1969, S. Bent & Bros. buys J. R. Cianchette and Sons' property on S. Main. In March 1970 Pittsfield Chair Co. opens there.|
|J. W. Parks Golf Course||Closed, sold by MCI to private owner.|
|Java Gourmet Coffee Shop||Small building built in Somerset Plaza parking lot. Opened 1997. Closed July 1998 for financial reasons. Building then occupied by new Pittsfield branch of Bangor Savings Bank.|
|Jim's Seafood||Located at 46 Main St. Opened in September 1967.|
|Joe's Used Cars||Opens at old Hubbard's Garage on North Main Street, April 1970.|
|Jordan's Market||Opened in TJ's Market location. Owned by Gary Jordan, Jr. Later closed.|
|Joseph Hermon Shoe Co.||First temporarily housed in the old A&P building until their building was ready in the Industrial Park.|
|N. J. Karam Building||
The N.J. Karam Building's first occupant was the Pittsfield Post Office, in 1927. Newspaper photos on left as Post Office was moving in; 1972 photo on right after post office had left. See also Waverley General Store.
|Kaye Elias's Women's Store||17 Main Street. Corner of Park & Main Sts. Closed. Became Books Etc. Closed. Later home to Mid-Maine Bureau of Bangor Daily News. In 2003 opened as Mae B. Antiques.|
|Ken's Restaurant||21 Main Street. Sold to Carol Millett and Tony Russo, closed as Ken's Restaurant. (Later as Corriander's Restaurant owned by Tony Russo, then Big Dog Diner, then Simon's Restaurant, then Clipper's Restaurant.) See Oak Stove Restaurant.|
|Kitchens Plus||Closed, moved to Hartland|
|Knowles' Machine Shop||Closed.|
|Kristina's Restaurant||Formerly Dominick's. Closed due to fire.|
|Kurz Mobile Homes||South Main St. Diane Bartlett. Steve Spencer, park manager. Closed c. 2003.|
|L & H Chevy Dealership||
In 1952-53, the L & H Chevrolet Agency was established on South Main and Libby Streets, and in 1955 Adrian Hallee bought out Mr. Lenentine. The company had a body shop on Hunnewell Avenue. Bought out by J. K. Wright, who later moved to at 66 Somerset Avenue, the current location of Varney Chevrolet.
|L. J. Sanderson Groceries & Meats||
Located downstairs in the Pittsfield National Bank building, as seen in this 1907 photo. Lou Sanderson, proprietor.
As the 1903 jingle from the Ladies Aid Society put it:
If you would find good beef and lamb,
Chicken and sausage, pork and ham;
Canned goods and groceries as well;
Lou Sanderson cheap for cash will sell.
11 Park St. Opened in 1909. Asa Ladd, prop. retired in 1982. Closed, owner died, building moved up on Grove Hill, was located between Citgo Gas Station and Central Maine Redemption Center (which later became Mill Pond Market, then Pittsfield Village Pizzeria.)
|Lagorio's Store||55 Main Street. A popular cigar and fruit store owned by Jim Legorio. Lagorio died in 1947. Store closed in January, 1971 when Mrs J. Lagorio retired, and Richard Berry purchased store. Storefront was divided in half. Then Stan's Barber Shop (Stan Tremblay), Phantom Comics, and Main Street Express. Building vacant and for sale as of February 2004.|
|Lakeview Dairy||Newport Business, but sold products here, sold to Footman's Diary; closed as Lakeview Dairy.|
|The Lancey House||The Lancey House web page has photos and stories about Pittsfield's famous hotel.|
|Lancey House Garage||
The Lancey House Garage, managed by Earle E. Friend, Jr., agent for the Oldsmobile, was located at 11 Central Street (across from the Depot) on the site of what once was Loder's flower shop and later the Parker Littefield Garage. Closed. Building demolished in 1977. In the photo, notice the "Oldsmobile" sign almost directly below the peak of the Lancey House.
|LaVerdiere's Drug Store- Main St.||Opened 1970 at corner of Main and Central. Closed in March, 1983. Stock moved to Somerset Plaza store. Plaza store sold to Rite-Aid Corp. circa 1996. LaVerdiere's Drug Store on Main Street in 1972 photo.|
|LaVerdiere's Drug Store -Somerset Plaza||Opened in 1980 when Plaza opened. Closed plaza store mid-1996, LaVerdieres's chain sold to Rite-Aid Corp which operated in Plaza, then moved to its own new building across the street at the site of the old Carriage Inn.|
|Lawrence's Bridal Shop||Opened in 1974 in Apt 21A at the Carriage inn.|
|Lawrence's Flower Shop||Opened on Hartland Ave. in 1965. Sold to Earl Thayler. See Thayler's Flower Shop.|
|Lehr Furniture Company||Opened on Lower Burnham Road in 1955, Willard W. Lehr, Sr., prop. Sold to Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Craft and Paul Bartlett in 1966. Closed.|
|Lehr Insurance Agency||
In 1962 Willard W. Lehr, Jr., and Burton G. Hammond combine agencies, move to Hunnewell Ave. as Lehr Insurance. Moved again circa 1972 when Cianbro building was built, wherein the Lehr Agency now resides. Original building moved to Skowhegan, next to fire dept (see third photo, taken in March, 2006).
|Leonard Parker's Tropical Fish Store||Closed.|
|Libby's Pharmacy||Henry Libby, prop. Located in the J.C. Connor Block, in the lot now occupied by the Merrill Bank's drive-up window. After the 1888 election, Henry Libby was appointed Pittsfield postmaster, and continued to operate his drug store but now in the new J. C. Connor block which also housed the post office. A door at the rear led between the two stores and Mr. Libby used it to go back and forth between his two jobs. In 1965 these two stores were occupied by H. L. Cornforth Clothing Store and Humphrey Pharmacy.|
|Lloyd Elias Market||21 Somerset Ave. Closed; Alfred Bachrach opened his Law Office there on Somerset Avenue in September, 1984.|
|Long's Service Center||Closed.|
|Longrifles Gun Shop - Thunder & Smoke||Spring Road. Roger White, owner. Guns, ammunition, reloading supplies, archery, gunsmith & repair work. Black powder. Advertised in 1986.|
Opened 11-Feb-1965, located on Main St between Lancey House site and RR tracks. Postcard on left is from circa 1940. The photo on right was taken during the Eisenhower visit in 1955. Sold in 1970 to Dean Grant who opened Grant's Texaco.
|Maderio's Market||Opened in Jordan's Market location, owned by Dennis and Dawn Maderios, sold to Cheryl Craig & Rene Boulanger|
|Mae B. Antiques||
17 Main Street, Pittsfield, ME 04967|
Scott/Donna Savage, 487-6262, firstname.lastname@example.org
Opened circa 2004, closed circa 2007.
|Closed 2003. In Industrial Park.|
|Maine Gas and Appliance Company - Hotpoint dealer||Closed, currently is Madeline's Boutique, closed, another business in same location|
|Makay's Barber Shop||Located on North Main St. Closed. Building demolished April 1969 to make more parking.|
|Main Street Express||39 Main Street. Sub sandwich & pizza shop owned by Gail Ballard Ross. Sold to David Pratt, closed in 2003. See LaGorio's Store.|
|H. V. Mathews Printing Co.||
A full service printing shop located on north corner of Hunnewell Ave. and Main St. in the early 1900's. Photographs of Harris V. Matthews parade float in 1919 and of the print shop in December 1911. See ad on page 22 of A.J. Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield which Mathews printed.
|Maynard's Barbershop||Maynard Dahlgren, prop. Closed due to fire on Main Street (after 1969), moved up Main Street across from MCI. Later moved back down Main Street (location currently Stan's Barber Shop, 37 Main St.); retired, sold business to Ashley Parker in January 1981.|
|McGilvery & Cummings Co. Shoddy Mill||Located on Detroit Ave. Burned flat 24 April 1997 while being used as Penny Pinchers Warehouse. See Bryant Saw Mill.|
|McGowan's Drycleaners||Closed. Building torn down.|
|McLeod's Driving School||87 Main Street. Florence McLeod. Sold, then closed. Florence died c. 2004.|
|Medwed Shoe Company
|The old vacant Waverly Woolen Mill was bought by Joe Cianchette and four other men in 1941, fixed up, and sold to Pinchos Medwed for shoe manufacturing, which began in 1943. It took time, but by 1948, 300 people were employed there. In 1946 J. R. Cianchette built Peltoma Acres, a housing development, to provide housing for workers, especially management that was brought in by the Medwed Shoe Company. Built in one year, 48 new homes were put on the market in May 1947. In 1950 Medwed Shoe was sold to the Northeast Shoe Company. Picture of the old Waverly Woolen Mill. Closed. Also see the Woolen Mills Photo Page.|
|Mercier's Mill Pond Market||Dave and Sue Mercier, owners, bought Park St Market in October, 1984 and renamed it. Sold market to Randy Henderson, renamed Mill Pond Market.|
|Merrill's Brick Yard||Located at the end of Elm Street, where the Warsaw School is now situated. The bricks from W. A. Merrill's brickyard built MCI Founder's Hall.|
|Midway Drive-In Theater||
The Midway Drive-In was located on the south side of Route 100, near Houston Corner and just to the right of the current entrance to Frank Woodworth's gravel pit. Today (2006) the old projection house can still be seen amid the surrounding brush, and the rows of dirt berms are still evident. Moviegoers parked with front wheels on the berms to elevate the front end of the cars so the occupants could better see the movie screen. In operation in the 1950's. Name of the Drive-In supplied by Elwood and Gloria (Bridgham) Lovejoy, and the name probably referred to being mid-way between Pittsfield and Newport.
|Mill Pond Market||11 Park Street. Closed. Listed for sale in Uncle Henry's July 1998. Re-opened by Konstantinos Koutsikos as the Pittsfield Village Pizzeria in 2003. 2005 photo.|
|Mom's Lunch & Gulf Gas Station||Lloyd & Nellie Quiet, props. Closed, later remodeled and opened as Redemption Center, Gail's Market and Redemption (moved to S. Main St. near Frost's Mobil).|
|Montgomery Ward||Started on Main Street, moved to Grove Hill, later moved to Quonset hut building at 17 Middle Street, closed in December, 1985. Building was later occupied by the Buttermilk Donut Shop, Home Town Video Hut, then EC Cycle, all since closed.|
|Morrison's Market||Building demolished April 1969 to make more parking. Moved across the street, closed; re-opened as Corner Cupboard at 13 North Main Street.|
|Musical Instrument Store #1 (name?)||Closed. Owned by a member of the Kennebec Valley Boys Bluegrass Band (Sam Tidwell), located in building where Wright's Drug Store was.|
|Musical Instrument Store #2 (name?)||Closed. Was on Main Street where Country Comfort Flooring is currently.|
|N. L. Perkins||General store located on the corner of "Pantmakers Square". See ad on page 1 of the April 1882 Pittsfield Advertiser||N. W. Allen Printing Service & [1990's] Valley Times Newspaper||Located on outer Detroit Avenue. Printed Valley Times as a weekly magazine format newspaper. Closed abruptly June 1999. No reason given.|
|Nancy's Restaurant||At corner of Webb Road and Route 100. Bought as Tastee Freeze in April, 1982. Sold by owners Bob & Nancy McGinnis around 2001 to new owners, Christina and Peter Norris, who kept the name "Nancy's" "Our children attended MCI and we have relatives in Town. We owned a home in Pittsfield in the past and enjoyed the people and all that the Town had to offer. We are a restaurant, take-out and ice cream business. We specialize in seafood, a variety of soft and hard ice creams along with homemade burgers of the "finest kind." We offer good food in a clean and friendly atmosphere at a fair price." Closed c. 2001, sold and reopened as Blondies for 1 year. Sold and opened by Joe Loughery as Picnic Basket in 2004.|
|Nason's Flower Shop|
|N'Everything Nice Bakery||Closed in 1995; bankrupt. Daryl & Silvia Buck, owners. Located at 33 Main Street. See The Gift Box.|
|New Central Furniture Company||Transferred stock to Bangor Store and closed here.|
|Newhouse Poultry and Egg City||
Herbert Newhouse, after graduating from M.C.I., in 1923, joined his father in farming and in a very few years became one of the outstanding poultry producers of Maine. Twice in his farming career he has sold his poultry interests, but each time returned to build a larger and more modern plant. Following a spectacular fire in 1961 that destroyed his poultry house, he erected one of the largest and finest plants in the industry. After several years of successful operation, he sold the business to his son, George, who in 1966 was carrying on in the tradition of his father. Since bought by Mr. Ricca, moved operation to Massachusetts.
|Norge Laundry||Closed - building torn down.|
|Northeast Shoe Company
|In 1950 Medwed Shoe was sold to the Northeast Shoe Company. Northeast closed in December, 1983. San Antonio Shoe (SAS) re-opens factory in 1984.|
|Northern Maine Packing, Pittsfield plant||
Northern Maine Packing Company began canning corn in 1880 and opened its first Pittsfield plant in 1900. Plants also in East Corinth and Corinna where its headquarters were located. Canned under the brand names "Royal", "Orange Blossom", "Sweet Pearl", "Morning Glory", "Family Pride", and "Regent". C.T. Moses, general manager; Winfield Moses, Pittsfield plant manager. Newspaper photos in large (right) and small format newspaper photos.
|Northern States Tire||48 Industrial Park. Business bought from Fitts Tire circa 1988. Closed. Sold to Dan McCaw, reopened under another name. Closed again late 1998 or early 1999. In 2004 home to Walpole Woodworker factory store.|
|Oak Stove Restaurant||21 Main Street. Closed; sold to Ken Dionne, became Ken's Restaurant.|
|Park Street Market||Sold in October 1984 to David and Sue Mercier, who opened it as Mercier's Mill Pond Market.|
|Parker Littlefield Garage||Located at 11 Central Street, the earlier location of the A.J. Loder house and later the Lancey House Garage.|
|Penny Pinchers||19 Central St. Discount retail store at corner of Middle and Central Streets, owned by Dale Penny. Closed c. 2000. Reopened in 2003 as Kwong Lee Chinese Restaurant. Formerly the State Liquor Store. Also see shoddy Mill which Penny Pinchers used as a warehouse.|
|People's Heritage Bank|
|Perry's In Town Video||Sold to become Littlefield's Video, closed, store later became Country Comfort Flooring.|
|Phantom Comics||39 Main Street. Comics and Collectibles. Opened January 1991, closed June 1994.|
|Pickwick Cabins||Operated in 1930's by Tim Burch. Closed, was on Route 100 by trailer park.|
|Picnic Basket||Opened by Joe Loughery for about 1 year circa 2004 in the former Nancy's Restaurant building. Closed during most of 2006.|
|Pinky's Flower Shop||Opened in Somerset Plaza in 1979. Closed. Sold to new owner. Previous owner's husband assigned job in Portland area. Now a cell phone store.|
|Pioneer Woolen Mill||
There was a newspaper article in 1869 in the Bangor Daily Whig and Courrier about the opening of the
|Pittsfield Advertiser / Valley Times Newspaper||Started publication as a four page monthly in April, 1882 by Charles B. Haskell and Orin S. Haskell. It's banner read "DEVOTED TO THE INTERESTS OF THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY". L.O. Haskell took over editorship in 1896. Sold to J.R. Cianchette in 1945. Name changed from Pittsfield Advertiser to Valley Times in September, 1967. Sold to Cianbro Corp in 1972. Moved from Park Street location (right photo), which was the former stables at the Going Hathorn Estate, to the Hunnewell Ave. location (left photo), then moved again in 1980 when Hunnewell Ave building was due for demolition during urban renewal. Merged with Newport Times in 1986 and Sharon Mack becomes editor. Sold to Dexter's Eastern Gazette in 1987 and closed. (Last issue was March 18, 1987.) Microfilm archives exist at the Pittsfield Public Library (which also has a bound collection), Maine State Library, and the Folger Library at the University of Maine. See N. W. Allen Printing. Also see The Pittsfield Times.|
|Pittsfield Animal Shelter||3965 Canaan Rd. (Rt 2). Sid Cooley, owner. Closed c. 2002.|
|Pittsfield Bowling Center & Laundromat||Located on South Main Street, set back from the road, almost opposite from C.N. Brown. Opened in 1963 as Bowl-Rite Lanes. Sold to Alfred & Sessa Menendez in 1973 and became Pittsfield Bowling Center. Burned flat on December 14, 2001, lot cleared, is now a parking lot.|
|Pittsfield Coal & Oil||Merged with Staples Oil / Webber Oil.|
|Pittsfield Chair Company||Located off South Main Street in old Cianchette building. Built chairs. Opened April, 1970, shipped first order in September, 1970. Closed. Bought in 1985 by Hancock Lumber, which moved onto site.|
|Pittsfield Cooking School & Bakery||
Located at the SE corner of Main and Easy Streets, operated by Augustus Holz and family. "Our kind of baking tickle the palate, satifies that hungry feeling, and makes you wish there was room for more." Building also housed the first Pittsfield Post Office. Located at current site of Cianbro. The building was moved to this site circa 1897 from the Hathorn Stock Farm.
|Pittsfield Drug Store||
H.H. Nutter, prop. Located on Main Street. "The Rexall Store of Pittsfield Maine" H.H. Nutter was responsible for a whole line of postcards of the Pittsfield area, which he sold in his drug store. Interior of the Pittsfield Drug Store. Large (right) and small formats of postcard photo. Also see their ad on Page 47 of Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME.
|Pittsfield Dry Cleaners||Closed July, 1970.|
|Pittsfield Electric Light and Power Co.||
In 1900, electric power came in the form of the Pittsfield Electric Light and Power Company, on Saw Mill Street (near Drake Street). Within a few years it combined with three other local electric companies to become the Central Maine Power Company. Saw milling was an important industry. The power and light company cut and sawed two million feet annually in an electrically powered saw mill for finished wood products, near the end of Drake Street, next to RR tracks. Acquired by Sebasticook Power Company sometime between 1907 and 1914. Also see Smith-Conant electric power company. Large (right) and small format of newspaper photos.
|Pittsfield Hardware & Plumbing||75 Main St., next to LaVerdiere's. In April 1966, Byron "Bud" Dow bought Pittsfield Hardware & Plumbing from Seymour Balch. Closed. Building now Kleinschmidt Associates office space.|
|Pittsfield House of Pizza||75 Main St. Closed twice: Opened twice for about 6 months, more or less, then sign went up in window Closed for July Vacation. Fixtures removed, business closed with no warning or notice. Near corner of Main and Central Sts. Building now part of Kleinschmidt Assoc. office space|
|Pittsfield Motor Sales||Located at the NE corner of Crosby and Lancey Streets. In 1922, Earl Friend opened an auto sales business in a building that had once been a carriage shop when it was located where the library now stands (1885 photo on left). As the business prospered it was replaced with the current brick structure. See Friend Ford Dealership.|
|Pittsfield National Bank||Moved to the Connor Block, located at 27 Main Street in March 1905, a building now occupied by Merrill Bank. Originally, it was located in a corner of the Union Hall. In 1889 a proposal to establish a bank was made by McMaster, Manson, Walker, Hunnewell and D. M. Parks. On October 19, 1889, the First National Bank was organized with quarters provided on the west side of Union Hall. 1907 photo. Failed shortly after April, 1933, but by 1939 depositors had recieved over 91% of their money back. Depositors opened First National Bank of Pittsfield in September, 1933, in the same building.|
|Pittsfield Poultry Farm Co.||
F.W. Briggs, manager. "Exhibition Quality Barred Rocks, Cockerels at all Prices, EGGS FOR HATCHING, Illustrated Catalog Sent free on request". See ad on pages 14 & 15 of Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME. 1907 newspaper photo.
|Pittsfield Times||Prior to the The Advertiser, there was a paper called the Pittsfield Times, with offices located on the east side of Main Street in 1876. It published briefly, then failed.|
|Pittsfield Tractor Company||Closed.|
|Pittsfield Trading Post||Located at 39-41 Main Street where Main Street Express was most recently located, just below the Connor Block.|
|Pittsfield Truck and Farm Equipment||Closed.|
|Pittsfield Trust Company||Organized in 1905, with J. M. Chalmers, President; C. E. Vickery, Vice-President; Treasurer, W. H. Pushor; Executive Committee, Chalmers, Vickery, Coons, Llewellyn Parks, and F. R. Smith.|
|Pittsfield Woolen Yarns Co.||Perley Wright began his Pittsfield spinning business in 1939, making socks. He moved the business to Central Street during World War II, and set up Pittsfield Woolen Yarns in 1945 which operated continuously until closing in 2003. Fire destroyed their warehouse in August, 1974. Sons Carl, Neil and Clifford later joined the business. Cousins Greg and Randy Wright went into the family business in the mid-1980's. Located on Central St. opposite Forest St. Photos: left 2005; right circa 1960.|
|Pizzarena||Opened undeer new management (John Curtis, Sr.) in 1967. Closed in late 1960's. East side of Main Street, building torn down in 1979 at the start of urban renewal.|
|Quigley's Driver Education School||Closed, owner moved.|
|R & S Auto Supply||Closed.|
|R & R Electronics/Radio Shack||Closed, mid-1995.|
|R.J. Estes||Located at 73 Main Street. Sold tobacco products and Edison phonographs. See ad on page 41 in AJ Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME.|
|Radio Shack||Moved from Fitts Tire Company to Somerset Plaza in September, 1981. Closed.|
|REA Express Company||Went out of business, Closed.|
|Redmond Pet Care, Inc. (Developer)||Newhouse Road. Nelson Redmond. Closed c. 2003.|
|Ring's Clothing Store||Closed c. 1995. See Brown's Clothing Store.|
|Ritchie's Pizza||Moved from North Main St. location to South Main St, across from current C.N. Brown location in 1976. Closed, business leased or rented, reopened as D & D in June or July 1998. Closed. Reopened as Ritchie's Pizza.|
|Rite-Aid Pharmacy||Closed Somerset Plaza store, built new store at former Carriage Inn site. Family Dollar Store now in Somerset Plaza site (2005).|
|Riverside Woolen Co.||
Built by Dennison Walker who ran the mill from 1884-1894. Began as the Maple Grove Mill, as it was situated in a grove of maples across the
Sebasticook River from the Pioneer Mill, facing Detroit Ave. It was also refered to as the Walker Mill.
Mill sold to American Woolen Company in 1914. Closed in 1934. Burned flat April 24, 1997.
The photo says: "The first mill in the state to sell cloth direct from loom to wearer."
"Cloth for Ladies Suits, Skirts, Coats and Childrens wear at first cost. Send today for free samples"
Also see the Woolen Mills Photo Page
|Rosemonde's Flower Shop||Closed at The Somerset Plaza, reopened at Hartland Ave. location. See Hartland Ave. Flower Shop|
SAS of Pittsfield|
San Antonio Shoe, 48 Waverley Ave., Pittsfield, ME 04967|
Linwood Dunphy, 487-3252, email@example.com
Located in the old Waverly Woolen Mill building, which, after closing in the early 1940's, housed Medwed Shoe, then Northeast Shoe, then SAS. SAS closed in 2008.
|Sanger M. Cook Insurance Agency||In 1950, the Parks Brothers Insurance Agency, owned by E. N. Vickery, and the Sanger M. Cook Agency, owned by W. W. Lehr, Jr., merged and operated as Vickery and Lehr, Inc., until 1954 when Mr. Lehr became sole owner. See Lehr Insurance Agency. Sanger Cook later wrote the 1966 book Pittsfield on the Sebasticook, a history of Pittsfield to 1965.|
|Savage's Market||Closed, Larry Savage last owner|
|Seamstress Shop (located in the Old Bike Shop on Connors Ave.)||Closed, owner now working in the S. A. D. #53 School system)|
|Sebasticook & Moosehead Railroad||Opened for business in November, 1886. Linked into Maine Central tracks in Pittsfield. The Hartland depot of the Sebasticook and Moosehead Railroad was located in Lawrence Williams' field. Williams' field was just east of the Agricultural Hall near the fairgrounds on Outer Main Street, now known as the Canaan Road or Route 23. The depot building was completed in November 1886 and the line ran from Pittsfield to Hartland. It was leased as the Maine Central Harmony branch in 1910, purchased in 1911, and extended to Harmony in 1912. Became snowed in in 1901. Tracks torn up in 1983.|
|Sebasticook Power Company||Began in 1903 with the building of the Burnham Dam on the Sebasticoook River. Acquired the old Pittsfield Electric Light and Power Company. Combined with four other local electric power plants to become Central Maine Power in 1914.|
|Sebasticook Walley Dairy||See Wright's Dairy.|
|Sebasticook Woolen Mill||In operation in the early 1900's. Sold to Clyde Martin in 1932. Sold to Lancey Milliken in 1933 for $3500 an he moved his production of shoddy there from his plant on Hunnewell Ave. Closed in 1934; torn down.|
|Shell Oil Gas Station||Closed. Building now Corner Cupboard store.|
|Simon's Family Restaurant||21 Main St. Opened in spring of 2003 by Mary Ellen and Al Simons. "We moved up from Massachusetts 2 years ago and owned a restaurant years ago. This one went up for sale and we decided to give it a try." See Ken's Restaurant.|
|Smith Woolen Mill||
Smith Woolen company advertised on page 2 & 3 of A. J. Loder's "1907 Souvenir or Pittsfield ME". Smith owned the old Riverside Woolen Mill, re-named it Smith Woolen Company, and began retailing at the mill under the name Riverside Woolen Co. selling "direct from the Mill to the Wearer." See Riverside Woolen Mill. Also see the Woolen Mills Photo Page
|Smith-Conant Electric Power Company||
Perhaps the most important project of the year 1898 so far as the economy of the town is concerned was the introduction of electric lights to Pittsfield. The Smith-Conant electric power company was ready to start by July and the town voted in August to have street lights and more and more residents subscribed to the service. Power was generated via steam power for the Smith-Conant mill, and surplus was sold to the town. Also see Pittsfield Electric Power and Light Co.
|Somerset County Creamery||
Located on Lancy St. Incorporated 1902. Manufacturers of "Somerset Brand" pasteurized sweet cream, milk and butter. J. Natt Gilman manager of the main office in Pittsfield. Branch creameries at Canton, Perry, South Newburg, and Winterport. Wholesale store in Salem, Mass. See ad in Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME on page 46. Newspaper photos in large (right) and small formats.
|Somerset TV||Opened in February, 1974.|
Main Street, down from Craig's hardware. Jewelry and appliances, TV, stereos. Closed in late 1960's. Building demolished during urban renewal in 1979-80.
|South Main Street Market||Opened by Marion Wright owner/operator in April 1970.|
|Stan's Barber Shop||Closed. First opened in the Wright's Drug Store building, later moved across the street to 37 Main St.|
|Staples Oil||Located on Hunnewell Ave. Merged with Hubbard Oil in January, 1970, to form Webber Oil.|
|Starbird Construction||Closed, buildings for sale. West side of S. Main St, just below Merrimac St. & Frost's Mobil. See Susi Construction Company.|
|State Liquor Store||
1972 photo. Became Penny Pinchers Discount Outlet. Current home of Kwong Lee Chinese Restaurant.
|Steego Auto Parts||Moved To Newport; closed Pittsfield store in Somerset Plaza.|
|Don's Sunoco Gas Station||
Located at 10 Main St. Opened in 1965, corner of Main and Easy streets, on site of parsonage next to Unitarian Church, at 1 N. Main St. Closed, bought by Webber Oil, changed to Exxon Gas Station, then to Gulf around 1998. 1972 photo.
|Susi Construction Company||Closed. Building bought by Starbird Construction.|
|Tastee-Freeze||Originally owned and operated by Mr. & Mrs. Tom Richardson and Family. New owner Nancy & Bob McGinnis, in April 1982. See Nancy's Restaurant.|
|Thayler's Flower Shop||Closed, sold to Country Roads Flower Shop|
|The Gift Box||Opened by Beverly Berry in same location as Berry's Pharmacy, next to the Merrill Bank. Closed in 1982, owner retired (later opened as 'N Everything Nice Pastry Shoppe, which closed in 1995.) The Giftbox was drawing too many customers from newly built Newport Store. Stock transferred to Newport Store.|
|Thrifty's Store||Closed, later became remaindered book store, later became Oak Stove Restaurant|
|Tilton's Dairy Bar||Closed.|
|TJ's Sportswear||Started by Terry & Jan McGowan in December 1980. Sold w/name to new owners. Original owners retired. Closed April 1998.|
|TJ's Market||Opened in Bacon's Market location, owned by Terry and Jan McGowan (who later started TJ's Sportswear.)|
|Top Gas Station||Located between Bud's and Waterville Savings Bank on Hunnewell Ave. Closed January, 1974.|
|United Stores||Added a new storefront in 1948. Located at 63 Main Street. Closed, now occupied by Reny's. 1955 photo.|
|V. W. Small Moccasin Company||Closed, owners died|
|Valley Graphics||Located on North Main Street at the current site of Pittsfield Pharmacy (the old Hubbard's Garage location). Kim Traylor, owner. Printed Milestones and Memories for Pittsfield's 175th anniversary in 1994. Closed.|
|Valley Times (newspaper)||See the Pittsfield Advertiser and N.W. Allen.|
|Varney's Western Auto||Closed January, 1985.|
|VIP Auto Center||Opened in March 1983 in former LaVerdiere's Drug Store location at corner of Central and Main. Closed, moved to Waterville store|
|W.G. Morrill Livery & Sale Stable||
Livery stable built in 1885, active c. 1911. Located next to the Lancey House. It survived the 1906 Lancey house fire. "It was not until Col. Walter G. Morrill came upon
the scene that harness racing really caught hold in this area. He was unquestionably one of
the most remarkable personalities that ever lived here. He was born in Brownville, enlisted at
the beginning of the war, joined the 20th Maine as 2nd Lieutenant, and fought alongside
General Joshua Chamberlain in many important campaigns, won most of his promotions on the
battlefield, was in command of the Company that fought brilliantly at Gettysburg, took over
the 20th Maine when Chamberlain was promoted, was with the regiment at Appomattox, led it in
review at Washington following Lee's surrender, and brought his men back to Maine for the
final mustering out ceremonies. Years later, along with Chamberlain, he was awarded the
Congressional Medal of Honor by Congress. Pullen, in his excellent book, "The Twentieth
Maine", describes the Colonel as follows: "Morrill was one of those men whom war reveals in
their highest staturesmen terrifically and truly great while war is on. Although only 22,
Morrill had seen his share of fighting. When the trials and tribulations of warfare had weeded
out less desirable officers, Morrill had quickly risen to the command of Company B. At
Gettysburg he had saved his company from capture in an isolated position and then struck the
enemy from the rear in a surprise attack that did much to turn the tide of battle. Morrill was
not exactly the West Point kind of officer when it comes to conducting himself with the proper
snap, precision, and attention to details. But the private soldiers considered him a real man
and a remarkable fighter when the going got tough."
"This was the man whom The Advertiser in its February edition in the year of 1885 noted had registered at the Lancey House with his wife. He had just sold out his interest in the Exchange Hotel in Dexter and was in Pittsfield "looking for a location for a livery stable". He evidently had no difficulty finding such a business for shortly thereafter it was reported that he had purchased teams and carriages of the Lancey House to operate such a livery stable." -- from Pittsfield on the Sebasticook. More on Col. Walter G. Morrill here.
|W. M. Prilay Post Card Co.||Published post cards of 1912 presidential election, and the HMS Titanic the HMS Olympic, and views of churches, monuments, and scenic areas from all over northern New England. The W.M. Prilay Post Card Company sent out sample cards with eight days of the Titanic's sinking when there was a great demand for any Titanic-related items.|
|Waterville Savings Bank||
Opened in May, 1971. Name later changed to People's Heritage Bank which was changed to TDBanknorth. 1972 photo. Location of the old Lancey House.
|Waverly General Store||On Waverly Street, opposite the Waverly Woolen Mill, N. J. Karam, proprietor. In operation in early 1900's. See ad on page 28 of A.J. Loder's 1907 Souvenir of Pittsfield ME. Also see N.J.Karam Building.|
|Waverly Woolen Mill||The Waverly Mill was built in 1891-1892 by W. M. Dobson once the necessary funds were raised to build it. $62,000 was raised in town and the balance was secured outside. J. W. Manson reviewed the effort and revealed that Robert Dobson had subscribed $20,000, McMaster $5000, Jenkins $3000, J. F. Connor, J. C. Connor, I. H. Lancey, J. W. Manson $2000, G. H. Hunter, N. L. Perkins, Dr. Drake, the Haskells, and Emma B. Longley $1000. Sixty-eight others contributed. W. M. Dobson secured the balance of the necessary funds from outside the state. In July, ground was broken and by August 5, men were working on the construction. The dedication of the mill was planned for next year. In 1914 the Pioneer, Waverly, and Newport Woolen Mills were sold to the American Woolen Company, which closed both the Waverly and Sebasticook Mills in 1934. The Waverly Mill was sold to Willard Cummings of Newport for $9,200. He used it for a storehouse for the next few years. Cummings was remembered in Pittsfield as having gone into partnership with McGilvery. His interests were bought out a few years later and he went on to found and operate Guilford Industries which are still in operation. The vacant Waverly Mill was bought by Joe Cianchette and four other men in 1941, fixed up, and sold to Pinches Medwed for shoe manufacturing. Shoe production began in 1943; by 1948, 300 people were employed there. In 1950 this was sold to the Northeast Shoe Company. Current (2005) home of SAS (San Antonio Shoe). Also see the Woolen Mills Photo Page.|
|Welby's Drug Store||A division of Hannaford Bros. grocery chain of Portland. Purchased the storefronts of Berry's Pharmacy from R. P. Berry in 1986, closed around 1987. Was in where Berry's Pharmacy/'N Everything Nice Bakery/The Gift Box in April 1986, where it did business until moving to Somerset Plaza. Originally was Humphrey's Pharmacy|
|Western Auto Store||On east side of S. Main St. just below C.N. Brown gas station. Closed. Now home to S.V. Home Health Care (part of S.V.Hospital).|
|White Star Laundry||Closed (was on Park Street).|
|Wirthmore Feed Store||
A feed and hardware store, located on Central Street, next to the RR tracks. Langdon Andre was manager in 1966. The building was formerly Eastern Maine Grain Company, and before that the barn for Hathorn Stock Farm. Later became Better Homes Discount Center. The building was torn down piece by piece in 1994, and the lumber and beams recycled.
1936 flood photos of and around the Withee Mill.
|Woodbriar||108 Somerset Ave. Building burned, reopened as a retirement resort in June, 1985. Closed in January 1986. Torn down in November, 1986. Site in 2005 of Rite Aid Pharmacy. Originally was The Carriage Inn.|
|WPBC radio station||Closed late 1994, sold in late 1996 to a religious Corp. in California to reopen as WJCX, simulcasting KAWZ out of Twin Falls, Idaho. (Dec-1996)|
|Wright's Dairy / Sebasticook Valley Dairy||Opened on Highland Ave. in 1947. Sold to Sebasticook Valley Dairy in 1967. Sebasticook began to sell Oakhurst milk instead of own label in May, 1984. Bought out by Footman's Dairy, the dairy itself was/is used as a transfer point by Footman's Dairy. A 1947 article about Wright's Dairy from the Pittsfield Advertiser is here.|
|Wright's Drug Store||Closed. Located on the east side of Main Street, just below Pizzarena. Nelson Wright, owner, left for Alaska permanently in 1967. Building demolished in April 1980.|
|Wright's Dry Cleaners||Opened in 1947.|
|Wright's Emporium||Sit down and buffet-style restaurant on Hartland Ave, near I-95 overpass. Sunday mornings from 8-11am was the all you can eat breakfast buffet. Formerly Wright's Food Center. Closed. Owner retired(?), building burned August, 1986, and reopens in November 1986. Closed 1996. Remodeled into a boarding kennel for Sebasticook Farms.|
|Wright's Food Center||Opened in 1964. Closed, became Wrights Emporium.|
|Wright's Racing Stables||Closed.|
|Wright's Stables||Fire leveled horse stables in January, 1970. Owner died, later son died.|
About this document: This History of Pittsfield's Past Businesses page was created from a document originally compiled by Don Hallenbeck. Further editing and additions were made by Tom Brown and Tom Roberts from 2005 to the present. Scanning of antique photos was done by Kathy Palmer and Tom Brown. Photos from 1972 taken by Ermine Trecartin's 1972 Pictoral Tour of Pittsfield. Photos from 2005 taken by Tom Roberts.
Original Photos Available: Larger, higher resolution, uncropped versions of all photos shown on this entire website, plus many others, are on the "Original Scans DVD" available from the Pittsfield Historical Society. See the Society's Items for Sale page.